Homemade Mac and Cheese – Pass the Ketchup!
All kids love a good mac and cheese meal….even babies love it. The soft squishy pasta all rolled up in saucy cheesy goodness. And then, (if your kids are anything like mine) pass the ketchup! This is my very own recipe that I created out of other recipes but with my own ‘tweaking’. You will appreciate that there is a vegetable in this recipe which can count for one whole serving. Trust me when I say this – I was desperate to find recipes I could hide veggies in!
Prep time: 1 minute
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Cooling time: 10 minutes
Serves: 2-4 kids!
1 cup macaroni noodles (I use gluten free noodles)
1/2 cup of milk
1 Tbsp. Flour (to make gluten free I use cornstarch instead)
pinch of salt (I prefer Hymilayan pink salt for added nutrients)
1/2 tsp. butter (I use my own homemade butter)
1/4 cup cheddar cheese (I use medium cheddar but sharp is nice)
2 frozen cubes of yam (I always have ice cube tray pre-frozen pureed vegetables for quick adds to pastas, soups, and stews). Alternatively, you could just add a couple of tablespoons of fresh pureed veggies.
*I tend to use yam for this dish, simply because it is orange and sweet and seems to go unnoticed by the kiddies. I have also added pureed broccoli, cauliflower and butternut squash. It is up to you!
- Cook pasta, drain, set aside.
- Add milk to medium size pot. Add butter and salt. Place on Medium setting.
- Once the butter is melted, the milk is warm enough to add your flour. Whisk the flour in to prevent lumping.
- Watch your heat, you don’t want the milk to boil (this would cause curdling of your milk)
- Now add the cheese. Add it in batches of 3 and stir continuously until melted and smooth. You will start to see the consistency is getting thick.
- Once cheese is melted put your burner on low. (Remember not to let this recipe boil. If it is close to boiling or too hot, just remove from the burner to add cubes.
- Add your veggie cubes and stir until melted. The children won’t even know they are there!
- Serve with Ketchup as we know kids love it!